Summer is coming up quickly and that often means barbecues, picnics, parties and poolside fun. This is the time you start getting ready for grilling and gatherings, and Memorial Day is your first chance to celebrate the season.
Memorial Day weekend marks the end of the school year and the start of beach season making it the perfect time for a barbeque. If your Memorial Day plans look a little different this year, that's OK. There are many delicious and simple ways to make the most of it in your own back yard.
Over the past year, we’ve all learned how to celebrate from a distance. And with the unofficial start of summer just a few weeks away, many are still trading block parties and lake house bashes for something a little smaller. If your Memorial Day plans look a little different this year, that's OK. There are many delicious and simple ways to make the most of it in your own back yard.
If your community cancelled parades and other festivities, you can still have a wonderful day at home or at a local park. A few ideas to celebrate on a smaller scale include:
- Honor Your Veterans: With all the excitement over summer, it can be easy to forget about the true meaning of Memorial Day. Show respect for our fallen service members by displaying American flags in your front yard or by donating to a local veteran’s charity.
- Relax Outdoors: These are trying times and a little break is definitely in order. Spend time lounging in a hammock or patio chair, or spread out on a blanket in the grass. Your body will thank you for the fresh air and vitamin D.
- Play a Game:Set up some friendly family competition in a game of cornhole, Bocce ball, badminton or tug of war. Pit the kids against the adults or boys versus girls. If the weather is refusing to cooperate, bring the fun indoors with a board game.
- Connect with Loved Ones—Virtually:If you can’t be together in-person, settle for the next best thing. Call up grandma and grandpa on the phone or set up a family video call.
- Host an Outdoor Movie Night:The fun doesn’t have to end once the sun goes down! Plan an outdoor movie screening of your family’s favorite film or TV show.
No matter how you spend the day, understand that it might feel a bit different than years’ past. But with a little creative thinking, you can create special memories with those closest to you.
Now, onto the most important part of a Memorial Day barbeque – the food. Your guests (even if they consist of your family and a limited number of cohorts) will come hungry for the flavors of the season, so give them something special to savor. The best barbeque food comes from the grill, and you have so many delicious grilling recipes to choose from.
And don’t forget to grab your Pete’s Paleo Bacon – the best topping for your burgers and salads. Order here>>>>>>>>>
No matter how you spend the day, we realize that it’s going to feel a bit different than years’ past. But with a little creative thinking, you can create special memories with those closest to you. Now, who wants another Paleo burger?